There can be many reasons why buildings are often too cold. Here are some possible explanations:
- Some buildings overcool air to reduce humidity.
- Some Air-Conditioning systems do not work well under part load conditions
- People think the air conditioning isn’t working if it’s not a little cold
- Being able to make people feel cold in the summer is a sign of power and prestige
- Men stuffed into heavy suits may control the thermostat
- Energy is too cheap giving people little incentive to save on the air conditioning
Excerpt from the article “Are women feeling colder than men in air-conditioning buildings?” by Bjarne W. Olesen, REHVA Journal October 2015.