Some interesting points from a work on renovation of apartment buildings and results from investigation of indoor air quality.
- The occupants indicated to be more satisfied with the IAQ before renovation.
- In the first case study only 22% of the occupants changed their airing habits after renovation, while in the second case study no significant changes were observed in residents´ airing habits before and after renovation of the residential.
- Building renovation resulted in higher prevalence of some of the SBS symptoms, such as itchy eyes, headache and fatigue.
- When old, leaky residential buildings are upgraded into more airtight and energy efficient ones, the retrofitting effort should include improved has to consider aspects of ventilation in order to ensure sufficient air exchange rates and acceptable and healthy IAQ.
- The presence of new furniture seemed to cause significantly elevated levels of TVOCs in some of the apartments where furniture replacement was reported during the year of renovation.