DO´s for designing heating system in a passive house:
- use a cheap and simple heating system – the investment belongs in the building fabric
- consider radiators as your first option
- arrange the layout to keep hot water outlets in a reasonably compact form
- put the hot water storage (or combi) in the same area
- chose heat pumps that provide good hot water performance rather than heating
- fill in the PHPP DHW section before looking at overheating.
Excerpt from “How to build a Passivhaus: Rules of thumb”, chapter by Alan Clarke, Passivhaus Trust, April 2015.