DO´s for fenestration and shading in a passive house design:
- have at least one opening window in every habitable room
- design for daylight and views
- design for daylight quality and usefulness over brute quantity
- for the UK climate do try and design without the need for external blinds
- consider glazed doors rather than solid, for extra light and solar gains
- consider fly screens and security for summer ventilation
- use light wall colours to improve daylight without increasing overheating.
Excerpt from “How to build a Passivhaus: Rules of thumb”, chapter by Nick Grant, Passivhaus Trust, April 2015.