- A whole-building system can remove some of the complexities of ensuring that different materials and components can be combined to achieve Passivhaus requirements.
- Prefabricated components can speed up construction time, resulting in lower labour costs.
- Construction programme is less affected by bad weather.
- The mechanisation used in construction increases conformity to the Passivhaus standard.
- Materials are protected from exposure to the elements during construction.
- Quality control and factory airtight sealing ensures better quality control.
Excerpt from “How to build a Passivhaus: Rules of thumb”, chapter by Kym Mead, Passivhaus Trust, April 2015.