For health & well-being
From the indoor environment developments during the past three centuries it can be concluded that health had priority in the beginning.
- In the 18th century people wanted to have a healthy environment in buildings in order to prevent the spread of diseases.
- Later, the indoor environment problems were dominated by comfort issues and people wanted to be able to realize comfortable indoor conditions throughout the year.
- After the oil crisis in the 1970s, the main goal was to save as much energy as possible on indoor environment conditioning.
- Towards the end of the 20th century, sustainability became very important.
- And at beginning of the 21st century people regained interest in health in the build environment together with productivity & performance or supporting health and well-being of building occupants.
[*source F. Franchimon, “Healthy building services for the 21st century,” doctoral dissertation, Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, 2009.]