The book has over 600 pages and is divided into five sections:
- Ventilare necesse est — a closer look is taken at how the indoor environment can contribute towards improved efficiency and performance.
- Economic and social responsibility — short-term economic gains over long-term overall benefits. Are profitability and social responsibility mutually compatible?
- Energy and the outdoor environment — how climate change is affected by our everyday use of energy and the possible consequences suggested in the worldwide media.
- The indoor environment — in a wider sense. The indoor environment is about more than just air: also acoustics, lighting, colour and form are all factors that strongly influence our total perception of the indoor environment.
- Air handling processes and the indoor climate. Follow the passage of air from outdoor intakes, via typical air handling systems, to its final destination — air-conditioned rooms — with full accounts of what happens on the way.